Sunday, September 23, 2007

why drama?


I seem to attract drama. I do not consider myself to be a dramatic person but I seem to have friends who enjoy drama. There is a type of person/ a personality that is more prone to be a counselor. They want to listen and solve problems. The point of the counselor is to help people, to get them to lighten their burden themselves. My problem is that I like to solve their problem and carry their burdens along with my own. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I let myself be vulnerable to the point where I get hurt? I want people to trust me. I have a desire to be needed. Can I be a counselor and not get hurt? Can I live a life that is surrounded by drama and not get sucked in to the madness.
The way I envision myself is holding a bunch of phone books. Each phone book is a responsibility, a job, a problem; a burden. I can hold up to a certain amount of phone books and continue to live my life without feeling the weight. But there is a point that one can reach where you cannot add one more phone book without the whole stack coming down. If I pick up one more phonebook then I will be on the floor with phone books crushing me. When you get to this point and you fall, Get back up! Get back up and deal with your phone books. Know the number of phone books you can handle and adjust your life. Move on and learn from the experience.
I am learning to apply my phone book theory to my drama filled life. The key is to rely on God. God knows what you can handle. He can pick you back up and carry your phone books. God is teaching me how to be content in my daily life.

No comments: